Subscribe Today!

Sign-up to our award winning newsletter and receive delicious sips delivered directly to your inbox.

Subscribe

Our email newsletter is 100% permission based. We will not share your personal information with anyone for any reason.

Wine of the Week #1509: Bollinger L.G.A. Rosé

0993378_crop

[ 2004 Bollinger Grande Année Rosé ]


PRODUCER PROFILE | Champagne Bollinger

STORE LOCATOR | Purchase Bollinger Grande Année Rosé


[ Farming & Vineyards ]

Champagne Bollinger owns vineyards totalling some nearly 400 acres which are planted amidst the most celebrated and privileged of Grand Cru and Premier Cru sites. Additional complexity is derived from the regional spread of these properties: Aÿ, Avenay, Tauxières, Louvois et Verzenay are planted to Pinot Noir, Cuis with Chardonnay and Champvoisy with Pinot Meunier. Virtually unprecedented amongst non-Vintage Champagne, 95% of the grapes that comprise Champagne Bollinger Grande Année Rosé come from Grand Cru vineyard sites – and the remaining 5% from Premier Crus.

Bollinger is one of a very few champagne Houses who grow the majority of their own grapes, rather than purchasing grapes from commercial growers or leasing vineyards from third-party farmers. Pinot Noir makes up approximately 60% of Bollinger’s vineyards, and in the case of this extraordinary Grande Année Rosé imparts a distinctly perfumed floral element in the wine.

[ Winemaking & Aging ]

Champagne Bollinger Special Cuvée is aged for more than twice the minimum requirement set out by appellation regulations. This Champagne can be enjoyed now – or laid down to rest in the cellar for another 12 to 15 years – and is best served between 8 and 10 degrees C.

It took some convincing to original persuade Madame Bollinger to produce a rosé at Bollinger, but eventually she would relent, with only one condition – it had to be extraordinary. Thus, La Grande Année Rosé emerged; a bottling showcasing a couple of key ingredients – first, it would only be produced in great vintages, and second, it would draw its colour from a red wine grown in a one-of-a-kind plot, the legendary Côte aux Enfants. Together these factors work to produce a legendary wine offering sublime drinking pleasure.

[ Price ]

BOTTLE: $199.95

CASE: $599.85

BUY THIS WINE

[ Technical Specs ]

ALCOHOL: 12.5%

BOTTLE: 750mL

Case Pack: 3 x 750mL

GRAPES: 72% Pinot Noir & 28% Chardonnay

Dosage: 7 g/L

[ Recipes & Food Pairings ]

Glazed Leg of Duck Confit w/ Parsnip Purée – RECIPE

Rack of Venison w/ Cherries – RECIPE

Rustic Thyme Rubbed Beef Carpaccio – RECIPE

[ Tasting Notes ]

“The 2004 Brut Rosé La Grande Année is a beautifully focused, vibrant wine endowed with striking minerality and fabulous overall balance. Clean veins of chalkiness run through the fruit in this energetic, taut Rosé, while seductive floral notes linger on the finish. The 2004 is 68% Pinot Noir (including 5% still Pinot) and 32% Chardonnay, 89% from Grand Cru villages and 11% from Premier Crus. The 2004 is very young, but it is going to be nearly impossible to resist. It is a dazzling effort from Bollinger.”

96/100 Points

Antonio Galloni / eRobertParker.com

Wine of the Week #1509: Champagne Bollinger Grande Année Rosé

More about Andrew Hanna

Pulling corks and pushing cases as a third generation wine importer in Ontario, Canada selling fine wines and spirits produced by families - not factories. Get the full story at winetrader.ca

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *