Classic Muskoka Summer Recipes: Wild Mushroom Compote w/ Foraged Leeks & Sherry Cream Sauce
Classic Muskoka Summer Recipes:
From the Kitchen at Sherwood Inn on Lake Joseph
-A handful of your favorite mushrooms (I use cremini, shiitake, morel, oyster, king eryngiis, chantrelles… roughly chopped)
1/2 of a shallot, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp shredded bellavatino merlot cheese
2 whole sliced wild leeks (ramps)
a splash of Lustau Amontillado Los Arcos dry Sherry
pinch of ground wild Himalayan peppercorns
pinch of kosher salt
1 cup of heavy (35%) cream
1 cup of arugula
hint of balsamic reduction
1 vol au vent (or baguette, focaccia, you choose!)
1. 1. In a medium size sauté pan, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and butter. Once the butter starts to slightly foam, add the shallot, garlic, wild leeks, and all the mushrooms. Saute this until just starting to brown.
2. Deglaze the pan with the sherry. If you are using an open heat source such as propane or natural gas, it may flambé (ignite, catch on fire, etc.) so be cautious while adding the Sherry!
3. Once the alcohol has burned off, add the cream. Let this reduce over low heat until it is thick. Now stir in the bellavatino cheese.
4. Season with the peppercorns and salt to taste.
5. Pour over your bread vessel of choice with the arugula on the bottom of the plate. Drizzle lightly with balsamic reduction and enjoy!!
Recipe by: Everett Bell – Executive Chef at Sherwood Inn on Lake Joseph
Wine Match: Emilio Lustau Oloroso “Don Nuno”
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)